My homemade vanilla extract is finally ready for use today –hooray! It’s been a long anticipated wait (I waited two months) and it’s finally here. So I decided to test it on a batch of banana espresso chocolate chip muffins. Why? Because I had some overly ripe bananas sitting on the counter. And who doesn’t like anything with espresso and/or chocolate?
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of dark muscovado sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of homemade vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of coffee extract
- 1/2 (1 stick) cup of butter, melted
- 6 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking cups in the muffin pan.
In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and instant espresso powder. Set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk bananas, egg, milk, vanilla extract, coffee extract and butter until blended.
Make a well in the dry ingredients bowl. Add your wet ingredients and stir. Fold in chocolate chips until combined.
Spoon batter into the lined muffin cups and bake for 20-22 minutes or until the cake tester/toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Transfer muffins to cooling rack.
Adapted from Baker Street