I saw some really nice organic strawberries at the market today. I picked them up thinking it was going to be tasty. When I brought them home and processed them —weren’t as tasty as they looked —boo! Too tart for my palate so I decided to bake with them. I added some zest and juice from a meyer lemon too since I had it. Not sure if it was a good thing since the strawberries were a bit tart. But I think the results were OK.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of strawberries, chopped but save a few strawberries, sliced, to garnish on top of the muffins
- 1 meyer lemon, zested and juice half of the lemon
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup of plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking cups in the muffin pan.
In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Mix well.
In a medium bowl combine eggs, lemon juice, yogurt, oil, almond and vanilla extract until blended.
In the dry ingredients bowl make a well in the center. Add your wet ingredients and stir. Fold in your chopped strawberries until combined.
Spoon batter into the lined muffin cups. Add your sliced strawberries on top (1 strawberry slice per cup) and sprinkle turbinado sugar on top.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the cake tester/toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Transfer muffins to cooling rack.